Search site

Animal boarding establishment licence

To keep a boarding establishment for cats and/or dogs, a licence is required.

Do I need a licence?

To keep a boarding establishment for cats and/or dogs, a licence is required.  To keep a Home boarding establishment for dogs a licence is required.  Licensing aims to protect the welfare of animals under your care.

What legislation applies?

What are the conditions of the licence?

You must not be disqualified from any of the following when you make your application:

How will my application be determined?

The following criteria will be considered when your application is being determined:

  • That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
  • That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
  • That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
  • That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
  • That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by our officers, a veterinary surgeon or practitioner.

How much will it cost?

Application fees

  • Animal Boarding Establishments New / Renewal - £160
  • Home Boarding Establishments New / Renewal - £95

Licences, irrespective of date of issue, will have to be re-applied for and determined before December 31 each year.

How do I apply?


Before you apply, please ensure that you seek guidance from our Animal Welfare Officer at the contact points below.

Apply online

You can apply for your licence online:

Application form

pdf icon Application Form - Animal Boarding Establishment [56kb]
pdf icon Guidance Notes - Home Boarding [12kb]

Completed application forms should be returned with the correct fee and documentation to our address below.

How long will it take you to process my application?

We will acknowledge receipt of your application within 5 working days.

We will then process your application and tell you the outcome within 12 weeks.

If you do not supply the correct information and fee, your application will be rejected.

Will tacit consent apply?

No, tacit consent will not apply. This is because it is in the public interest as per animal welfare and public safety that we must process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us at the points below or if you applied online, through the UK Welcomes service.

Will my premises be inspected or assessed?

Yes. We will authorise an animal welfare officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect or assess your premises.

Contact us

You can enquire at the Civic Centre from Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm and Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.

Please complete our general enquiry form providing as much information as you can to enable us to respond as quickly as possible.


Regeneration and Environment
City of Wolverhampton Council
Civic Centre, St. Peter's Square
WV1 1D